Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

De:TOUR

My whole Journey Iraq-wards has been Unique, in a word. So a recent phone call from Servant Group International about support raising, deadlines, orientation, and the next step forward was actually not at all a surprise. Allow me to set the stage. Saturday, working ALL DAY on support raising. Printing Letters, addressing envelopes, cutting, finessing the Recipients List, trips to the store for more envelopes, more stamps, hours of work (see previous post). Working steadily, I am an anxious, panic-y mess the whole day. Yes, I know that Christians are not supposed to be anxious about anything. But I was, and I had no idea what to do about it this time.
An anxious heart is a warning sign: STOP! WHAT is going wrong here? ...If you've had much time around children, you have witnessed TCS, Tired Child Syndrome. An exhausted child, between the ages of 1-5, throws herself on the ground, beside herself with irritation, confusion, fatigue. A physical stimulant tells her body that something is wrong, but her mind cannot interpret it. She cannot diagnose the problem. She does not know the solution. She cannot formulate a request, a plea, a plan. Sprawled on the floor, she is incapacitated (and often inconsolable). But her wise parents know what to do! It's time for bed.
My neighbors at VBS last week. This is NOT TCS, but you get the idea ...Back to Saturday. Before God that evening I tell Him, "Lord, I CAN NOT live every day from now until Iraq (August 15th) like this one. Yet I have no idea what to ask, because I have no idea what I need, want, ought to do. You know what I need. I am TCSing right now. You are wise. And you are good. Father me. Amen." And I just committed myself to my Heavenly Father in that moment. And fell asleep.
My To Do List. Any wonder I'm a bit panic-y? ...Phone call. Wednesday. It's Servant Group International. I have not yet met support-raising deadlines to attend orientation later this month. I am $7,500 short. I am probably not going to make the next financial deadline, either, to get to Iraq August 15th. What will I do?
Smiling at the future, Proverbs 31:25 ...This is it. God's answer! I am not going to Iraq this fall. I will go next fall, 2014. Si bon Dieu vle, as they say in Haiti. If God wants. I will have a whole year to study Muslim culture and theology. A whole year to prepare myself for teaching. A whole year to pray for the Adventure ahead. A whole year to raise the needed $upport and recruit a prayer-warrior team.
...IN CALIFORNIA! I am moving to California. I will spend my year of preparation with Aunts, Uncles, cousins, and their little ones, soaking in the Cali sun and gearing up for the even hotter heat of the Middle East. This is a Detour about which I am thrilled!

2 comments:

  1. Hey count me IN on the PRAYER TEAM! I have been, and will continue, my friend and sister. SO glad you are here and we are working together! Yay for God's positioning His flock!
    YSIC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L, Yes indeed! so thankful to be working alongside you, sister. Excited for the path ahead we'll get to share!

      Delete