Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Prayer Ideas: a War Zone, Goals, and my Indiana Bucket List

My final California Sunrise...
After an all-nighter packing (Thank you, Uncle Chip! The bike arrived safely!)

Family embraced me at the airport. A sign was waved, a homemade meal procured. Friends clamored around with interested questions, engulfing me within an affectionate circle of support.

But Indiana has not been as welcoming. Days One through Four I've awoken (waked? awakened?) to search for the sun only to be greeted with sky's blank-faced veil of grey. A thick, unimaginative grey that presses into my soul to pull out despair. A grey that suffocates. I'm allergic to Indiana, or she to me. One of the two of us vehemently rejects the other. Or perhaps, both. Will we part as friends?

Insha'Allah, as allies or adversaries in 54 days I depart for Dohuk, Iraq. If you are following the ISIS's recent movement throughout Iraq, Dohuk is a neighboring city to the recently seized city of Mosul. My research estimates that the distance between the two cities is 45, 75, or 95 miles; regardless of the actual distance, my Iraqi friend told me, tongue in cheek, prior to my Sacramento goodbyes that I'll hear Mosul's gunfire from Dohuk. The situation on the ground is very, very serious. We need to maintain the Iraqi people in our prayers, ALL Iraqis: be they Arab, Kurdish, ISIS fighters, civilians, refugees, governmental soldiers, Sunni, or Shia; all need the sovereign and merciful intervention of Allah on their behalf. Many of you are asking, will I still go? I don't know. I'm waiting to hear from my sending organization, Servant Group International. If they maintain the green light then Yes I will go; I want to teach in Iraq.

Many of you are also asking, How can we pray for you? Thank you for your kind concern. Rather than hand you a script to read to God, a grocery list of what Abbey needs and wants, I thought it would be funner (yes, funner, not 'more fun') for you, for myself, and for God if I answered this question by giving you my Indiana Goals and my Indiana Bucket List lists. (Goals are those lofty ideals for which I am intentionally laboring to either achieve or grow in; Bucket List items are experiences that I want to have.) Whatever captures your imagination within these lists perhaps can facilitate a nice conversation between you and the Holy Spirit.

Confession: It was Mamma's painstakingly personal preparation of my room that, upon my arrival home, made me break down into tears. This dear woman left a note, flowers, chocolate, even the BOOKS I love on display to welcome me.

INDIANA GOALS, 9 JUNE - 10 AUGUST, 2014...

Growth in asking for help: Miss Independence needs practice humbling herself to live inter-dependently, the way God designed humans to operate.

Walking regularly with Mamma.

Encouraging/affirming my parents in healthy lifestyle choices.

Building a stronger relationship with Taylor.

Becoming JK's friend.

Practicing how to be a big sis to adult siblings: Role change! I'm not their guardian and protector anymore. Now I'm stumbling through the oldest-sister awkward adolescent stages of figuring out how to be their sister and friend. As a peer.

Maintaining community with CA friends and family: If I'm coming back, I want to invest into the people to whom I'll one day return.

Read The Sacred Romance and Mayada: Daughter of Iraq

Begin to consider myself as heroine and Jesus as the HERO in the epic He's telling (let myself be romanced by Him).

Practice story-telling in everyday conversation: Middle Easterners love story. Westerners love a good story. Personally, I learn best through story. The Bible is mostly Story. Wouldn't it be eternally exciting to practice the tools to connect all those dots?!

Growing in my Forward (Future) Vision: Mamma rightly diagnosed it as myopia when I was in my teens but it wasn't until a recent conversation with Uncle Don that I realized why looking forward and making plans is harder for me than turning the Titanic. Uncle Don was 8 when his dad (my grandfather) died; my father was 2. Apparently, as they were growing up the two of them would talk through their reservations towards reaching the age of their father at his death (my grandfather must have been in his thirties). Uncle Don and Daddy David approached aging with dread curiosity : "Will I make it? Will I "outlive" my father?" Uncle Don did; my father did not. Unknowingly, I inherited their growing-up apprehensions but spoke of them to no one (I assumed I was a freak). Days and years were lived out within the underlying tension: Will I make it out of my twenties? I had no idea how to plan beyond that. I was just waiting to see. At 29, I had done it. I had "outlived" my dad. This wasn't a relief; it was more of liability ("Now what?!"). So at 30, I really have no idea what to do with myself. I'm fighting to grow past this and learn how to dream, make plans, and go for them. My conversation with Uncle Don comforts me because, as a man in his sixties, he confessed that the effects of myopia still linger in his peripheral and future-vision. And that's hopeful: I'm more normal than I ever suspected.

Identifying "Dream Team" friends (5-8 people) and sharing my Vision and Goals with them: Dr. Bryce Jessup, President Emeritus of William Jessup University, recently challenged our congregation to consider what kind of legacy we want to leave behind. He suggests forming a panel of trusted friends, mentors, and perhaps family members who know you best to vet your Dreams. They constructively critique your goals, ask hard questions, and kick you in the pants when you need it. You can listen to his fabulous message here: http://www.baysideonline.com/weekend-service/2014/04/bryce-jessup-if-you-only-had-one-week-to-live/

Preparing for Iraq: This is a multi-tiered goal, and the main reason I came back to Indiana. More to come.

...Indiana Revelries: Scenes from my Backyard...

INDIANA SUMMER 2014 BUCKET LIST:

Vision of Hope Race for Hope 10k.

World Cupping with JK and JW. (USA, USA!!!)

Recruit Task force; train and execute FishersSummerLovin Prank Campaign against formidable foes Mr. and Mrs. K, aka T&J.

Find alternative "third place" (that is NOT STARBUCKS) to hang out with Mamma.

Youtube marathon night (ESP. Studio C and blast from the past Julian Smith)!

Lord of the Rings marathon weekend!

Two dates. With boys.

Ultimate Frisbee Sunday nights.

Mrs. Pam!!!

Granite Management "Reunion."

Camping with the 'rents!

The BOXES!!!

Fire pit. FIRE!

Red Mango with YoPros.

Dance Party.

Thank you for reading my prayer update and for praying! In a future post I'll fill you in on SGI training/my schedule and traveling plans. I will also shed some light on my fears, since many of you expressed curiosity.

Lastly for now: This is my support total (in USD) to date!...

My goal remains $12,000 so I am currently 73% funded! Thanks to all for your sacrificial giving and praying!! All my love! ~abbey mac

2 comments:

  1. Making a point of going back to earlier posts, just to get to know you better =) You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilou! I don't know how to fix the settings on my blog to receive Commentors' comments and be able to respond to them in real time! Eek!

    ReplyDelete